The Illinois Department of Health is currently accepting applications for residents of Illinois who are able to participate in the Medical Cannabis Pilot Program. The process for reviewing a patient application can take up to 60 days, so it is important to submit the application as soon as possible. MedMar has assembled a step-by-step guide as well as a list of FAQ's to help with the process.
Patients who are seeking assistance with their application for our ROCKFORD LOCATION can call 815.314.1900.
Patients who are seeking assistance with their application for our CHICAGO LAKEVIEW location can call 773.698.8182.
Do you need to get fingerprinted for your registration? Accurate Biometrics is our dedicated service provider for such services. There is no need to make an appointment, all of their locations accommodate walk-in patients. Here is a link to find a location convenient for you. Please contact Julie Mester at 773.685.5699 with any questions or to learn more about the process.
WHAT ARE THE BASIC QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO BECOME A REGISTERED PATIENT?
- Be a resident of the State of Illinois at the time of application and remain a resident during participation in the program;
- Have a qualifying debilitating medical condition;
- Have a signed physician certification (unless you are a veteran receiving medical care at a VA facility);
- Complete the fingerprint-based background check within 30 days of submitting your application and not have been convicted of an excluded offense (a felony under the Illinois Controlled Substances Act, Cannabis Control Act, or Methamphetamine Control and Community Protection Act, or similar provisions in a local ordinance or other jurisdiction), unless the Department waives such a conviction(s);
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Not hold a school bus permit or Commercial Driver’s License; and
- Not be an active duty law enforcement officer, correctional officer, correctional probation officer, or firefighter.
CAN I SUBMIT AN APPLICATION ON-LINE?
Yes, you can submit an online application here: https://medicalcannabispatients.illinois.gov/
I don't want to register online, How do i apply to become a registered patient?
Patients must submit a completed Application for Registry Identification Card for Qualifying Patients. The state of Illinois is currently reviewing all applications on a first-come first-serve basis. We urge all those who meet the basic qualifications to submit their application as soon as possible as it can take up to 60 days from the time of submission until your application is approved.
I have a terminal illness, is there a special patient application for me?
Yes, here is a link for those who have a terminal illness and are seeking relief through the medical use of Cannabis.
HOW DOES A MINOR APPLY FOR PATIENT REGISTRATION WITH THE STATE?
Patients must submit a completed Minor Qualifying Patient Application.
What specific forms need to be completed as part of my application?
Caregiver Application Form (if applicable, not required)
what are the specific items that I need for my application?
- A signed and completed application form.
- Proof of residency.
- Proof of identity of the qualifying patient.
- Proof of age of the qualifying patient.
- Photograph of the qualifying patient (Contact the Department’s Division of Medical Cannabis if a photograph would be in violation of or contradictory to the qualifying patient or designated caregiver’s religious convictions).
- Physician written certification or appropriate documentation for veterans receiving medical care at a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs facility; your physician must mail in this form.
- Designated caregiver information, if applicable.
- Copy of the fingerprint consent form.
- Excluded offense waiver, if applicable.
- Selection of medical cannabis dispensary or zone.
- Application fee.
What are the fees associated with this program?
The state of Illinois has a variety of fees that are associated with this program. They have provided an overall breakdown of these fees and other costs related to patient registration on this website.
How do I switch from my current dispensary to become a patient of MedMar?
The process of changing your dispensary is relatively quick & simple. Here is a link to the page that has all the information required to change your dispensary.
How do i register as a patient of medmar?
You should designate MedMar Rockford, Inc. as your dispensary of choice which is located in DISTRICT 16 on page 1 of the Patient Application Form. Once MedMar has opened its facility, you may visit and become registered with MedMar at the Rockford site, located within District 16. Specifics of this process are yet to be disclosed by the State of Illinois. We will keep you posted with updates via Facebook, or you can join our newsletter to get specific instructions via email.
who should become A PATIENT OF MEDMAR?
Any qualified Illinois resident can become a patient of MedMar. You do NOT have to live in District 16 to register at the MedMar Rockford location, you can live anywhere in the state of Illinois. MedMar Rockford is centrally located and easily accessed via Interstate 90 and serves patients from residents of Boone, Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Winnebago counties and beyond.
WHY DO I NEED TO GET FINGERPRINTED?
This is a requirement of the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act. Applicants for a Medical Cannabis Registry Identification Card must have a UCIA fingerprint-based criminal history record information background check. The State requires that patients choose a vendor that is licensed to utilize the LiveScan technology. This technology transmits the fingerprint data directly to the State of Illinois who will then conduct a criminal background check. Be sure to have this Consent Form filled out by the vendor who conducts the fingerprint scan. The results of the criminal history background check will be forwarded to the Illinois Department of Public Health for review.
WHERE DO I GET FINGERPRINTED?
MedMar has designated Accurate Biometrics as our recommended vendor for obtaining fingerprints as part of your patient registration. They have 4 locations in the Rockford area and their team is eager to help you in any way possible. No appointments accepted or needed to get fingerprinted.
The main contact for their services is Julie Mester who can be contacted via phone at (773) 6-4034. Please contact her if you have any questions about getting fingerprinted.
Here is a list of the 4 Accurate Biometric locations that conveniently service the Rockford area:
Rockford: East Wind Business Center, Building 3 – Suite 301, Rockford, IL61108
Freeport: Highland Community College, Center Parking Lot A, 2998 W. Pearl City Road, Student Conference Center, Freeport, Illinois61032
Dekalb: Northern Illinois University, Holmes Student Center 2nd Floor – Douglas Room, Lucinda Avenue & Normal Road, DeKalb, Illinois 60115
Dixon: Sauk Valley Community College, East Mall, Door 5, 173 Illinois Route 2, Dixon, IL61021
In addition, the state of Illinois has provided a comprehensive list of vendors for you to choose from in order to obtain fingerprints. Here is a list of the approved vendors that are located in the Rockford, Illinois region:
Will County Regional Office of Education, (815) 740-8360,